Wednesday 30 November 2011

Switch


She held his hand and kept her eyes demurely down. She wore her shortest dress to draw attention.

Men pretended not to look but when they passed she heard their gasps at the purpling licks of wicked bruises. She knew they were hoping for a flash of lacy lingerie, not that mottled ladder leading to the whitest, cotton naivety.

All the more outrageous he had sullied such innocence.

Later, under the actinic illumination of the bathroom strip light, he would kneel before her and tenderly sponge the stage make-up from her legs. And she would laugh softly at his shame.

6 comments:

  1. Neat. I like the reversal. Made me think about what the *%&$ was going on between the two of them...Still thinking...Can I stop thinking now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The switch raises great questions about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, you can stop thinking about it now, Pete. ;) Thank you. =)

    Thanks, Aidan. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great twist John.

    I can relate totally to how this scenario works, one time on holiday, my wife woke up in the morning with blackened and puffed eyes, the result of several mozzie bites, she looked like someone had thumped her, you can imagine the looks I got off people over the next few days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha i bet they looked - I wonder what he was really thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Steve. I can imagine, people's minds do jump to conclusions...

    And thank you, Helen. =)

    ReplyDelete