Wednesday 27 February 2013

Infestation

by John Xero


I am coming unstuck. The stars are like jellyfish, bobbing gently – you could reach out and touch them but the sting would be killer.

Mankind has been picking and poking at the seams of the universe for too long. Pushing physics to breaking point, picking, picking, picking, free energy, limitless resources, got to be in there somewhere, pick, pick, pick.

Where are your golden eggs?

I grow weary of this ridiculous charade. Fuck etiquette. This is my body, my innards, my soul you have your grubby hands in, and I say: Get out.

Get out. Get out. Get out.

Vermin.




Author bio: John Xero is fascinated by notions of a sentient universe, in whatever form it might take, and what it must think of us, if it thinks of us at all...
Blog | Twitter


14 comments:

  1. The *universe* as a sentient being?

    Mind = blown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. I'm sure I'm not the first to have such thoughts. =)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know what kind of medicine the universe will take to flush us out.

    Great ideas here as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pete. =)

      I dunno, how do you usually get rid of parasites... Fire...?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Unintentionally, but I am certainly an admirer of his work, and I wouldn't be surprised at his influence creeping in. =)

      Was it the 'unstuck'? As in Slaughterhouse 5 and Sirens of Titan? Or something else too?

      Delete
  4. I once wrote a story about God creating the Universe as an executive toy like Newton's Balls and then leaning back on his office chair and doing naff all until the humans came a knocking. And another about the place where the angels live being discovered by us pesky humans. These deities spawned us then refuse to take any parental responsibility? They deserve what's coming to them as the product of our creative, abandoned minds

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marc. The executive toy makes sense, everything just works, set it running and walk away. Simple rules with complex outcomes, like us. (Is it pretentious, thinking us complex?) ;)

      Delete
  5. Interesting concept. I can't really blame the universe. Maybe we give it indigestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't surprise me, maybe it needs some kid of universal Gaviscon...

      Thanks, Sonia. =)

      Delete
  6. I must agree with Pete - I'd love to see how the universe intends to deal with us 'vermin'. Just don't take the 'M.Night Shyamalan' approach, eh? Great stuff as always, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack. =)

      Plenty of ways to deal with us, I imagine, but it mostly amounts to 'rocks fall, everyone dies.' ;)

      Delete
  7. " picking at the seams of the universe" threw me a little because I didn't think the narrator would refer to itself in third person, but once I got past that I loved it. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a valid point, and it did cross my mind. I think I'll use the excuse the she's a little unhinged, and talking about herself... ;)

      Thanks, Catherine. =)

      Delete