Wednesday 6 March 2013

Heritage

by John Xero


Son, please, listen to me, for your sake. My father tried to warn me about the curse, but I didn't listen. I understand. When a madman tells unbelievable truths, how do you pick those rare gems out from among the ravings?

It begins as whispers, son. Whispers and whimpering, like angels sobbing. Never ending.

It's a tumour, filling the sane places inside with a crawling, gnawing sickness.

Believe me. My father warned me. And that day on the farm, when I killed him, it came to me. It will come to you, too.

For your sake, son, don't do this.






Author bio: John Xero writes. He's trying to write more. That's going OK.
He's trying to tweet less. That's going OK. @xeroverse
He's also trying to blog more. That's going less well. xeroverse.com

10 comments:

  1. Because if he does it, then he'll do in his pop, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, if the action and consequence are different things, yes. They were the same thing in my head. =)

      Delete
  2. And I'm visualizing his dad telling him this while his son is pointing a gun at him. Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagined this speech coming under the sharp end of a blade or at the end of a gun? Also, "When a madman tells unbelievable truths, how do you pick those rare gems out from among the ravings?" is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. =)

      I really like that line too. Wasn't sure about whether to leave the word 'among' in there or not...

      Delete
  4. You picked the perfect title for this! I agree with Jack, loved the line about a madman. Definitely gives a little history about his childhood and why his son might not believe him. Also loved the line about the tumor "filling sane places with a crawling, gnawing sickness".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zaiure. I agonised over the title for a while, nothing quite felt right. Glad you liked it. =)

      Delete
  5. Liked this. Not sure I trust Dad though. I mean, he's been suffering from a curse for years, he'd say anything right?

    I feel you're pain re: blogging btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't trust him, doesn't mean he's not telling the truth though. ;)

      Managed to maintain a blogging schedule of once per week for a whole two weeks... ¬_¬

      Delete