Sunday 1 September 2013

Phoenix

by Stella Turner


Drool hung like thick curtains from its cavernous stinking mouth. The putrid aroma, reminding me of decomposing corpses, filled the room. Had it eaten someone already, my wife? I wanted to call out her name but its beady little eyes kept me spellbound. What should I do, distract it or let it climb the stairs? My baby son asleep in his crib.

Without a backward glance I crept from the house. I knew I should have called someone but who would believe me? Rising from the ashes of my burnt out home I went in search of a new family.




Author bio: My name is Stella Turner and I'm known as stellakateT on twitter. I have had three of my flash fictions published in three anthologies and long-listed in the Fish competition for the last two years. I adore flash fiction because I love the brevity of it.
My blog can be found at http://stellalikesspidersandothermyths.blogspot.com/

Phoenix is part of 101 Fiction issue 1.

5 comments:

  1. The "phoenix" can be such a coward, but maybe I should delay criticism until the day I'm faced with a monstrosity in my living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such tragedy and cowardice! A very eerie piece. Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cowardice, or accepting the inevitable???
    Love the surprise of the 1st question. Terrific flash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. So pleased it was chosen to be included :)

    ReplyDelete