Wednesday 11 July 2012

Creator

by John Xero


In my dreams his head is a black cube, rotating slowly. It shimmers and glints with the galaxies that spin within. He has the whole universe in there, I think.

He is God. He is my father. His tears are starlight.

Somehow I know he is looking at me.

When I wake I remember the last time I saw him. I remember the birth of a terrible universe, the end of a world. I remember the crimson galaxies exploding away from each other, the awful nothing at the centre.

My world was his prison. In my dreams, he has escaped.





Author bio: John Xero is the editor at 101 Fiction.
His recently released collection of short and flash fiction, This is the New Plan, is out now for Kindle.

14 comments:

  1. Oh that is really good visual writing. I love that last line. The Creator is free to create - again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ominous atmosphere in this John - great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful imagery John.

    In our dreams, anything is possible, as in our imagination, worlds and scenarios to be built... or destroyed.

    Is this a very powerful muse?.. or something more sinister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intended as something more sinister, but I'm happy for people to interpret as they will. ;)

      Delete
  4. Wild stuff here! If a Creator is free in a dream, is he/she completely free? Interesting thought…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If what you're looking at is all of existence, what does that make you, somehow outside? ;)

      Thanks, Larry. =)

      Delete
  5. I imagined the narrator was a godling, feaful of their mythic inconceivable parent. But maybe that was just me?

    Great 101 John. As always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not what I intended, but an interpretation that makes me very happy. Thanks, Pete. =)

      Delete
  6. Yep, the whole universe contained within a grain of sand, or in this case 100 exquisitely elliptical words. Top work

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first paragraph hade me. Great writing John.

    I think this piece of 100 words is expandable and vast on its own and it holds some questions. Does his escape result in horrible outcomes or vice versa? Why is he captive in her world but free in her dreams. (I suppose it's a she). Or maybe I'm just questioning too much and missing a point here.

    Anyways right or wrong, I enjoyed your creativity here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. =)

      I didn't say if the speaker was a he or she, did I? In my head she was a she as I wrote it, interesting that you should read that into it. =)

      Questioning is always good, I like that this one made people think.

      Delete