Wednesday 7 November 2012

Farmboy

by John Xero


Gobbets of meat adorned the beast's barbed hide, like tufts of wool on a horrific hedgerow.

Harwen was on his knees, his crude sword hanging limply from a hand that a week ago had held a crook. Around him lay villagers and friends, armoured up and cut down.

The soldiers were gone to war but battle had come to Little Daleberry regardless, because Harwen had let his flock stray too near the caves.

The troll-thing, its rage sated, was shambling away.

Harwen tightened his grip, clenched his jaw and stood. He owed penance. He yelled and the beast turned back.





Author bio: We all have to face our troll-things, at one time or another.
Blog | Twitter


16 comments:

  1. armoured up and cut down - love that!

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. =) I was really happy with that line, too. =)

      Delete
  2. Marc caught my favorite line. Very nice work to wring out of such a short space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiiiggghhhttttt!!

    "..his crude sword hanging limply from a hand that a week ago had held a crook." I had to read this line twice 'cus, you know, I'm a child.

    Still, love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a line that's trying hard, possibly a little too hard. ;)

      Thank you, Jack. =)

      Delete
  4. Remember when I read this the first time round and it still packs a punch. Top writing John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, brave call! I can feel the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too really liked the line "Armoured up and cut down."

    Another story small on the outside, and big on the inside John, brilliant.

    For what it's worth, being in Harwen's place, I think I would have stayed very, very quiet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tardis of the storyworld... ;)

      Thank you, Steve. I think I would have hunkered down till the cost was clear too, but Harwen has an overdeveloped sense of honour... it's going to get him into trouble... ;)

      (apologies to William Goldman for the butchered Princess Bride quote... ;) )

      Delete
  7. They've already said it but this is cool. I like the up/down line too. I think you pack a lot of story into these words. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an ending! A perfectly placed cliffhanger. Sometimes 100 words is simply not enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete