Wednesday 2 January 2013

Dust

by John Xero


Orst sat on his throne, unmoving. His was a kingdom of dust and silence, and for a thousand years it had remained so.

The day came when a lost tribe, weary and malnourished, entered his lands. They halted, lacking even the strength to raise camp.

Orst stood and gathered his magic.

The land shuddered with memories of past wrath. Dark clouds gathered over the fearful tribe. The ground shook again as green shoots burst forth. Fat drops of rain fell and the seedlings became trees, bore fruit.

Orst had been a poor king. He vowed to be a better god.




Author bio: John Xero believes everyone should be given a second chance. And everyone should make the best of it if they are.

19 comments:

  1. Orst reminds me of my gamer self. "Hmm, didn't expect the area of effect to be so big. I'll be more careful next time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We played a superhero game once, and I (repeatedly) tried to knock people unconscious but ended up accidentally killing them. Didn't know my own strength, apparently. ;)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous last line, like pulling a dust sheet off the furniture in a room after 100 years

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marc. That's a good way to put it. =)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Marc -- really stellar last line. This is another story where I'd love to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth.

      Nothing planned at the moment, but who knows? =)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! I could hear my mum saying, "We've got guests, let's spruce this place up and look out the good glasses!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If she's anything like Orst, she's a scary woman... ;)

      Delete
  5. After a thousand years of dust and silence, I think Orst will positively enjoy being a god, and probably the very good one that he aspires to be too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoho, that's a great payload on the final line, John. I dug that. I don't believe it for a second, but that's the point, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure he has the best of intentions, John... ;)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic imagery and I love the last line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orst Allmighty! Methinks he'll cope with being a god.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. It'll be a learning experience for all of them. =)

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Avery. It's just a matter of semantics, really. Is a god only a god when there are people to worship him/ her? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The language of this so brilliant. I particularly like the phrasing: "a kingdom of dust and silence".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. =) I think that line was where the whole piece sprang from. =)

      Delete