Wednesday 10 April 2013

Alone

by John Xero


Amy lives alone.

Every morning, after her shower, she wanders into the kitchen and finds a cup of tea made for her – fresh, steaming, sweet, just the way she likes it. The toaster will pop, with excellent timing. The butter is out, beside a plate and knife set neatly on the counter top.

This was their routine.

She sits on a high stool and she eats her toast and sips her tea as she looks out of the window at the sunrise. Then she walks through into the living room. And he is not there, of course.

She lives alone.






Author bio: John Xero is still trying to work on the balance of subtlety in his ghost stories. He hopes you realised this was a ghost story... ;)
@xeroverse | xeroverse.com

12 comments:

  1. Ghostly enough for the back of my neck to tingle, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, look at you, John, showing off your romantic side! And of course she doesn't live "alone." A lovely little ghost story.

    So all I've got to do is murder one of my exes, and I'll get tea and toast in the morning too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* ;)

      Thank you, Becky. =)

      I'm not sure murder is the surest way to end up with a sympathetic ghost though...

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I like the gentle tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this was so nostalgic and sad. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a nice little story. I know you say it's a ghost story, but I'm picturing her setting up everything before her shower so she can continue remembering him. Maybe she knows she's doing it, and maybe she doesn't...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eric. I actually kind of like that interpretation. =)

      Delete
  6. An eerie little ghost tale, and wonderfully told. (Though the sceptic in me says that dear Amy simply isn't right in the head...) ;)

    ReplyDelete