Wednesday 24 April 2013

Dragon

by John Xero


Yoltan's dragon-scale armour is lighter than leather but stronger than steel. Each time he wears it, it feels more comfortable, more of a second skin.

The scales are a deep red, like the memory of fire, and they speak to Yoltan in a voice like sparks on tinder.

'Fire', they say fiercely. And 'flight.' And 'revenge.'

The longhouses burn around him. His brothers-in-arms approach warily, swords in their hands and murder in their eyes.

As the heat rises, he feels the armour meld with him, and he becomes fire, he becomes flight. He stretches his wings and he becomes dragon.





Author bio: John Xero loves winged mythology - angels, phoenix, dragons. There will always be new twists, new ideas, new skies for their stories to take flight in.
@xeroverse | xeroverse.com


15 comments:

  1. Neat. I liked the line: "His brothers-in-arms approach warily, swords in their hands and murder in their eyes."

    Could picture that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a brilliant concept. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine. Glad I could do it justice. =)

      Delete
  3. Where do I shop for this? Because I will take three pairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know any really good tailor/ blacksmiths? It's not such a common combination... ;)

      Cheers, John. =)

      Delete
  4. Vivid imagery. I really enjoyed the tone of this. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually saw that one coming, for a chance. Are his brothers in arms looking at *him* with murder in their eyes? Sounds like they might have figured out what was happening, just a few seconds too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a CHANGE. I hate when I see a typo just as I hit Publish.

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant! =)

      Yeah, they are looking at him. He's not been himself, lately... ;)

      Delete
  6. Brilliant, John, as per. Dragons and scaled armour still reminds me of Skyrim, so I kinda slotted this story in that world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. =)

      I haven't actually played Skyrim... I lost a whole summer to Oblivion and don't need anything more to distract me from writing at the moment! ;)

      Delete