Wednesday 22 May 2013

Siren

by John Xero


Heed the siren's call. It heralds salvation, the bliss of ignorance, the sweet succour of death.

Do not thrash as she takes you into her arms, sweet child, as she presses her lips to yours. Let her steal your breath as if it were her own.

Do not cry out as she cracks your bones for the marrow within. Instead forget what pain is, let her devour that too.

What has free will ever brought you? Let the siren take charge and plant her black flag in your soul. Soon you will be nothing more than tears in the ocean.





Author bio: John Xero knows how easy it is to give in to temptation, to let the distractions wash you away. He's trying to ignore them and write, write, write.
xeroverse.com | @xeroverse

Siren was runner up in the Scrolls flash fiction challenge. Listen here.



12 comments:

  1. This immediately brought This Mortal Coil's 'Song to the Siren' to mind [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HphVfIswoYE ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I know a slightly faster version of that from somewhere. Covered many, many times apparently (the Mortal Coil version being a cover itself).

      Thanks, Sandra. =)

      Delete
  2. Powerful story John! I felt myself cringing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the visualization, John.Yet it seemed to go deeper than that as well...Who doesn't have temptation clawing at them...Who doesn't want to give in, let go? Good one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. =) We do all have our Sirens, the trick is knowing them, and lashing yourself to a mast as you sail on past... ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful imagery as always, you weave a tale as alluring as the siren herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll always associate sirens with that song -- mostly the This Mortal Coil version, although there's a different version on a film Heath Ledger was in (Candy) that was really moving too.

    Your text is a brilliant little capsule of sacrifice and insanity. Becoming tears in the ocean becomes an opportunity to join a demented greater good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine. =)

      Although I recognise the song, the association isn't there for me. In my mind Sirens will always be Odysseus tied to the mast of his ship while all his sailors' ears are plugged so they can't hear the singing. But then I do love my mythology. =)

      Delete
  6. I don't recognize any of the songs anyone has mentioned. But I really enjoyed the imagery in this. It is pretty poetic too.

    ReplyDelete