Sunday 1 December 2013

Family

by Alex Valente

I shake the snow off my arm, groaning. I haven't been gone that long, surely? You'd think they'd be happy to see me, a familiar face, especially in this type of cold. It's been a weird beginning to the new year: I've been feeling under the weather lately, and was really looking forward to seeing Liz and little Matt again. I look down at my arm. I try putting it back into its socket, but decide it could turn out handy in other ways. I start moving forward again, slowly, dragging it behind me. My wife and kid flee, screaming.




Author bio: Alex Valente is a PhD student in comics translation, freelance translator, part-time poet and short storyist (in Italian and English) and occasional scare actor. He tweets about all that as @drfumetts.

Family is part of 101 Fiction issue 2.

3 comments:

  1. The undead are usually portrayed as brainless zombies. Kudos for the wry intelligence of yours! He's much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I love the logic about his arm. Handy, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the build up to your wonderful, visual humor. Plus, no better way to end a zombie story than screaming!
    What a fun story, Alex!

    ReplyDelete