Sunday 15 December 2019

Unborn

by Katie Kent

Standing outside the cafe, my heart raced. He’d told the story of how he met my mother again and again. She always stayed quiet, but her smile suggested happiness. I knew better nowadays. It came out when I found her crying. He’d been hitting her for years, destroying her life.

I devoted the rest of my life to finding the secret to time travel. As he walked past, I stepped in front. He swore, missing my mother as she turned the other way.

My smile matched hers as I faded out of existence, happy for the first time in years.



Author bio:  My fiction has been published in Youth Imagination magazine, and I have had stories shortlisted for publication in Podcastle and a fantasy mental illness anthology.

I have had non-fiction published in The Lady, The Mighty, You & Me Magazine and a mental illness anthology.

Unborn is part of 101 Fiction issue 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment