Wednesday 2 May 2012

Sand

by John Xero


Keiji dances in the sand. He plays a game with the waves and laughs when he loses.

Keiji is thin, skinny, but not too skinny for his age. His sun-bleached hair is medium length and his skin is a beautiful, glowing bronze; not so unusual for a boy who spends all his time on the beach. His dark eyes shimmer like rock pools.

The soft sand sighs beneath his feet. It is white sand, hot in the late-day sun.

His mother calls to him but he does not go. The sand whispers his name, but the waves wash it away.



10 comments:

  1. Lighter than I expected from you, John. Now I want to go the beach. Darned locale only has muddy-banked rivers. The narrative left me feeling a little of the sun-warmed sand on my soles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. =)

      I have neither sun nor sand in the vicinity... =(

      Delete
  2. I take it you put in this sunny 101 to make the shadows of the others darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... looks like I let this one out of the trap too early. It was meant to feel more melancholy at the end. =/

      Delete
  3. I too felt a sense of happiness reading this, warm sand, gentle waves, and sunshine always makes me feel good, probably because I don't get to see enough of it.

    Seemingly not the effect you were aiming for John, but one that I appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. That's actually really nice to hear. =)

      You're right about the sun, not a lot around at all right now.

      Delete
  4. This was a surprise John, had a feeling of warmth about it. I do live on the coast line the beach is just 10 mins away by car, you captured that feeling of sand and sea and warmth perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. Even if it wasn't exactly what I intended, it kinda makes me happy this seems to have cheered people up. =)

      Delete
  5. There is something joyous and life affirming about about this piece.. so it's very unusual for you John.. har har.. Excellent work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hardy hardy har... ;)

      Thank you, Tom. ^_^

      Delete