Friday 8 June 2012

Reconciliation

by Lily Childs


Years of scurrying around filthy alleys had me believing I was eternally earth-bound until I found her, lying on her back beneath a pox-ridden docker. She saw me first. Her scream gave the punter enough satisfaction to end his laboured pumping. He took flight, throwing a handful of coins between her legs.

“Who the hell are you?”

I smiled.

“I’m you.”

We stared each other out, reflections.

Sunlight pierced the air as my wings erupted. She sighed, and I stole her away from hell’s streets, still warm...

***

We’ll rest awhile, then try again.

Old souls with fresh faces.

Scars healed.



Author bio: A writer of horror and dark fiction, Lily Childs is also the author of the Magenta Shaman urban fantasy series. Find out more on her blog The Feardom or follow her on Twitter: @LilyChilds

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the speed and (apparent) ease you have in painting this picture. I've heard your name thrown around loads but this is the first time I've read your work. Now I understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another (hurrah!!) example of your ability to put so much story into my head with little more than a deft sketch, which is, as ever, one to return to, often, for the pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, thank you for enjoying this tiny tease.

    Sandra, from someone as talented as you this is such a compliment - thank you.

    John - I'm so grateful for the hosting of this little tale. Je te remercie. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've said so much with so few words Lily - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exquisite as always, Lily. Loved the moment of revelation. Is there more to this 'un? Hoping so!

    ReplyDelete