Wednesday 19 December 2012

EVA

by John Xero


Gerry drifted through space, slowly spinning, one more piece of debris in an expanding cluster. Karl floated nearby.

"Brilliant plan, Karl. Fucking brilliant."

Karl said nothing.

Gerry flexed the stiff joints of his spacesuit, old habit, staving off the muscle atrophy that set in under zero-G. Not that it mattered anymore. No one knew where they were - one of the many joyous hazards of unlicensed prospecting.

Karl had been safely inside the ship, unsuited. Dead now, of course.

Gerry checked his air. Two days.

He wondered which was worse, to die in a flash of terror, or in drawn-out anticipation.




Author bio: Life is, of course, dying in drawn-out anticipation. John Xero is a realistic optimist, he likes to believe the best will happen, but knows it probably won't. ;)
Twitter, and occasional blog.

17 comments:

  1. Except the anticipation may not kick in until one reaches forty or thereabouts ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you talking about...? WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! *Runs about in panic*

      ;D

      Delete
  2. I think I might welcome the chance for some infinite space meditation. But I just know it would be crowded out by hysterical thought concerning mortality

    Marc Nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drifting on the dark side of the moon, dreaming of infinities... =)

      Thanks, Marc.

      Delete
  3. And not even a planet nearby to surf down onto. I don't know. If there was no rescue possible, I might just pop the helmet. That's only supposed to take eight seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opting for the flash of terror, then, Larry? Not a pleasant way to go...

      Delete
  4. This kicked ass John! Coherent thought is lacking atm but this really worked for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! Chilling but eerily calm at the same time. I'm off to read some more of your stuff!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Not sure if I would wait for my two days to end or will pop the helmet open then and there. 3..2..1, let panic take over!

    There is indeed a certain feeling of calmness, but which grips with its horror. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would be in the "Flash of terror" brigade.

    This is kinda scary and humourous at the same time, Line three had me smiling, just the sort of thing I would say. :-)


    Happy Christmas John, have a really god one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realise I haven't cast my vote... I'd go for the drawn-out anticipation, the chance to muse and watch the stars drifting. Then the slow slide into unconsciousness, kinda like falling asleep...

    ReplyDelete