Wednesday 5 September 2012

Alibi

by John Xero


They found Charlotte Mills on Sunday, but a dead body is never the beginning.

Today is Monday and jackbooted insistence splinters Julian’s front door. They yell at him, wave their guns, cuff him. But he is not a murderer. Not yet.

Harry Mills killed Charlotte last Friday, not the first notch on his knife, but the closest to his heart. He framed Julian, the quiet neighbour.

On Friday Julian was building the Final Bomb.

What God created in days Julian will destroy in hours.

The countdown has begun. There will be no more murders. No more Mondays. No more anything.





Author bio: John Xero has an alibi. He was writing when it happened. Or, at least, he should have been... In reality he was probably on Twitter.

14 comments:

  1. I like it.

    But I get a bit distracted because I know a woman whose maiden name was Charlotte Mills, and all I can do is imagine her dead now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey - a mammoth murder thriller in just a hundred words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tone of this. I'm wondering though, hadn't Julian made the bomb anyway? Is that right or have I misunderstood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has indeed, built the bomb. That's his alibi, but I don't think he'll need to use it... ;)

      Delete
  4. Much said in few words John. Very nice.

    It would seem Julian is a far cry from the quiet neighbour that Harry thought him.

    I guess this means no more ice cream or Xbox too?

    Ohbuggerahnewthatwargunnerappen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the quiet neighbours that surprise you... ;)

      No more chocolate cake or comics...

      Delete
  5. At first, I thought time was being manipulated. Nope, just Julian pushed over the edge. Never mess with the nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he was a nice guy... just a quiet guy, planning apocalypse. ;)

      Delete
  6. I always befriend quiet neighbors, just in case. Though, it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered to Julian. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan, Aaron, either that, or you look like you're paying too much attention to their business and need to be quietly taken care of... ;)

      Thanks, Aaron. =)

      Delete
  7. Blimey! they always say you should be careful of the quiet ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just. You can just see Harry with the press...

      "He was such a quiet guy, kept to himself, I never would have thought he had it in him..."
      Goes back indoors and sniggers at how well he thinks he's played his hand, then dies along with everyone else... ;)

      I'd say Julian gets the last laugh, but I don't think he's the laughing type...

      Delete