Wednesday 26 September 2012

Minotaur

by John Xero


His bovine huffs and snorts are carried through the labyrinth on fickle drafts, echoing my own laboured breathing. I pause, testing the humid air for his scent. It is there, but it is everywhere, like my own.

Then I see him, lit in shifting orange by the guttering, sputtering torches. His muscular body is tense, poised, and he lowers his horned, craggy, bull’s head to charge. My guts churn with hatred, fear, and boundless anger at the sight of my twin.

I, too, charge, bellowing.

Our father’s revulsion weighs grievously on my mind, heavier than the island over our heads.






Author bio: John Xero definitely doesn't have a twin locked away in an underground labyrinth who is fed stray children and urban foxes in exchange for 101 word stories. You can't prove anything.


12 comments:

  1. The last few lines do this for me. Turning all of the earlier description back on the narrator is a lovely touch and the last line is a story all in itself.

    Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at the title. Much like gryphons (if I may be slightly self-indulgent for a second), they're definitely underserved in fiction.

    The description of the labyrinth, the environment, is *excellent*, and the end surprising.

    Team Minotaur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. ^_^

      It's been a while since I've played with mythical clay. Really glad you like it. =)

      Delete
  3. Wow, sibling rivalry in the labyrinth, a nice tale with just a taste of poetry about it.

    As for the bio John, proof is not always necessary, the rumours will do their work... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well, Steve... ;)

      Thank you. =)

      Delete
  4. Lovely atmosphere! I read it as though the Minotaur had perhaps gone mad, though, and that he was about to attack a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a firm believer that once a work is out there it is open to the readers' interpretations, and I quite like yours. =)

      Thanks, Aaron. =)

      Delete
  5. a territorial squabble about who gets to feast on the sacrifices? No, a humble clashing of antlers as young bucks go at it!

    Nicely done

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an absolute sucker for Greek mythology, and this was pure brilliance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love plays on myth, glad you liked this one. =)

      Delete