Friday 7 September 2012

Presence

by Erin Cole


Malevolence looms. It’s not the weight of the dead, the pull of unseen eyes, but more like a coiling snake - dangerous and ready to strike. 

I’ve searched through collectables in the store. Breathlessness near paralyzes me as I dwell upon its source. The stray dog, Red, stays close to me, seemingly distraught. A bone-framed mirror in the back unnerves me. Stepping closer, my reflection is no longer visible. 

But what must be behind me, for it’s not in front of me, is Red mutating into a dark, wraith-like form. Initially, I think mirror trick. What I learn next… terrifies.




Author bio: Erin Cole is a writer of dark, strange fiction.  She has work published and forthcoming in Shotgun Honey, Fiction365, Aoife's Kiss, and Every Day Fiction.

8 comments:

  1. Now this is what I call 'strange, dark fiction' - the sort I want to read more of to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels a bit like somebody about to embark on a Constantine-like life. Either that or they've gone to Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin definitely knows her way around the short form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually gave me shivers, the words are quite hypnotic, and I feel I can taste the danger in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark and strange indeed. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creepy! You have a talent for cramming in so much detail in tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eee, creepy! The bone-framed mirror is a fabulous image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this is most definitely "dark, strange fiction" at its best! Eerie stuff...

    ReplyDelete