Wednesday 10 October 2012

Savage

by John Xero


We never asked the goblins for their protection, always called it oppression.

Bunch of us kids would sneak past their patrols every dark moon, down to the whispering heather. Right dumb, but I was trying to impress a girl. Little Annie MacCready, a true fiery Scot with hair like a flicker o' ginger flame.

The gobs came after us one night, only it wasnae us they were hunting, was the wolf in our midst.

I remember them circling us, hemming us in. I remember their savage cries, their wicked spears. And I remember Annie shifting, twisting, and tearing them apart.





Author bio: John Xero doesn't smoke, doesn't drive, doesn't drink (often). He can't afford to, he buys books and comics by the ton. He also needs more bookshelves.
Blog | Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And always painted with the bad guy brush...

      Thanks, Helen. =)

      Delete
  2. Whoa. Did NOT see that coming! Superbly well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunno if he impressed Annie, but I think Annie impressed the heck out of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did, and I don't think he's ever going to look at her the same way again... ;)

      Thanks, Larry. =)

      Delete
  4. Annie would seem to be a perfect girl to have on your side during a fight, not sure if she would make the perfect wife though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, just try not to get on her 'bad side'... ;D

      Delete
  5. Nice one. I think I dated her sister....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now there's a girl who can take care of herself. Sounds like Annie has a better control of her temper than the narrator previously appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, there's Annie in a bad mood, and then there's Annie in a bad mood... ;)

      Delete
  7. Lovely - a great world created in just a few choice phrases - a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But the goblins are the good guys, right? I had the sense from the narrator's tone that he'd seen more oof Annie since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've put a lot of thought into this, Pete. =)

      I think they're the sometimes well-intentioned colonials who probably treat the humans as lower beings, as savages. If I were to write it longer I would probably flip the goblins out of their usual savages role and have the humans as the 'natives'.

      And yes, it's told in reminiscent tone, isn't it? Looking back. I think there may be more of their story to tell... =)

      Thank you, Pete. =)

      Delete